Friday, December 21, 2007

xps m2010 linux sound, and motorcycle stuff review

dell xps m2010 with linux:

Sound ( the stac92xx card ), well I've tried lots of stuff; including compiling, different versions of alsa with different compile options. I'm convinced its the speakers. Dell has a shim of some sort, somewhere. whether its in the driver, or the firmware, or... Dell as done something.

Other linux users with stac92xx sound cards ( in different hardware - even other XPS's ) have gotten over any alsa issues. So Dell has done something with the hardware path/speakers. Ummm I may take this thing apart....

Other than that the thing is stable, even with compiz running. BUT now I hear of an OS that maybe better implemented than Ubuntu ( that would be hard to do ) called - Mint. Umm, always gotta try new stuff.


~~~~~~~~~

MC gear review:
Most reviews of most stuff is done just after purchase, well since i'm lazy i'm gonna write up a coupla MC ( motorcycle ) reviews years after I bought them.

- Oxtar Matrix boots ( gore-tex ): these are fantastic. I figure I've got about 20k on them now. Still no water leaks and I still have a sole on them. In the summer they're a bit warm, ok, more than a "bit", but livable. They did take sometime to break in. The break in for me was mostly at the top of the boot, and a little at the ankle. Now they fit like a fine Italian boot -- :P

- Tour Master Gore-Tex winter glove: I'm not sure what exact model they are, they're all the way in the garage, too far to go check. Ok, this is what I've found. they fit a small window of temperature. My Held's are good to about 45degs, then the Tour Master's work well till about 30degs. I can feel cold in the lower 30's, if I didn't have heated grips my hands would get too cold. I can take the cold to the teen's but I don't like it. The biggest minus is the "feel", and this would be the case with ANY winter Glove ( so stop bitch'in ). The insulation takes room and makes space between your hand and the grips. It's annoying, you feel disconnected from the bike... but you get used to it - sorta.
-Cylock 3 season jacket: the company that made this jacket makes snow/ski/snowmobile gear in ... Switzerland (...or somewhere like that). It's a great jacket, and because they ended their attempt at selling stuff in the US I got a great deal. This jacket is close in design to the vaunted FG Kilimanjaro. It's been pretty water proof and is now just springing some small leaks. This is somewhat normal, nothing last forever. I plan on purchasing Gore-Tex "rejuvenator", or maybe I'll just get a new jacket.

Thats it...i'm tired of this....

No comments: