Tuesday, December 18, 2007

It's been a while... ( My Dell XPS M2010 and linux )

( I hate blog, vbullitin editors )

Like my last post said, I don't post much. But I think I need to now, not because I think someone wants to hear what I have to say, but more that someone will stumble across this and it will help them.

About 10 months ago I was lucky enough to get my boss to order an fairly expensive laptop. Well, ok, it's not really a laptop. But it's not a desktop either - it's a luggable. "It" is an Dell XPS M2010. It's a 21lbs laptop, Dual processor, with 256mb ATI radeon, and a beautiful 21" monitor. It's so big it's case comes with wheels.


Mini review: I like this thing, It's faster than a typical laptop and most desktops, has just about everything most people need ( bluetooth, wifi, big screen, etc, etc ). It came with "MS Vista Business". I don't like Vista, but it runs fine on this system. I've tried vista on an older Dell insprion, had to go back to XP. But disabling some of Vista's security has made it liveable. Truthfully tho, I don't use the M2010 much except for Word/Excel stuff that OpenOffice on my other computer doesn't like. I also use it for Web testing, some SAN apps, and so on. I may use it 20% of the time...
BUT!!! I do use it for gaming. Which it does very well. Only Crysis doesn't run well, but that doesn't seem to run well anywhere.

Ok, Your probably here to find out how well linux runs on a M2010. If you get yourself Ubuntu 7.10, then you find yourself on the way to happiness.

Now it's not perfect. But it's damn close. In fact, install Ubuntu 7.10, then immediately get over to Alberto's Envy page. Envy is a beautiful script that gets your video (ATI or Nvidia) straight. You will need download the newest script from Alberto's site as the the Ubuntu repositories don't have the latest. If you don't do this you'll find your video performance ( opening windows, moving windows, etc.). Once you Envy it and reboot things are good.

There are two things that don't work, to me they are small issues:
  1. The built-in cam doesn't work, linux doesn't even see it. I hear uvc drivers ( at the uvc project ) may work, but it's outside of Ubuntu, and I don't want to screw around with the setup right now.
  2. And the external speakers don't work, but linux/Ubuntu see them ( and the sound card. The Headphone jack works. I hope to find a fix this soon.

I've put more details in the right place; at Ubuntu's "LaptopTesting" site.

Oh yeah! For you Iriver Clix owners, my Iriver Clix ( 1st Gen ) works with Amarok and the MTP plug-in. I didn't do anything special, but Amarok sees the Clix and the music on it, where as my other Ubuntu box doesn't.

Again, hopefully this can/will help the other 11 people out there with Dell XPS M2010's...yes compiz works too

No comments: